23 January, 2010

Species 37-43: 2010's First Trip to Suffolk County

Got the oil changed and the car inspected today. Seeing as I'm leery of letting just anyone touch my car, I made a day of driving out to Commack and my parents' house so I could go to their reliable and honest mechanic. Of course, as an added bonus, I am near all of the beaches, forests, and harbors that are within a 10 minute drive of the house.

I had a few stops today, first a walk around the headwaters of the Nissequogue River by the mechanic this morning. After having to explain why I was trespassing on the new motel's property to get back to the pond, I saw a whole lot of Mallards and some other "neighborhood" species including House Finch, Blue Jays, Chickadees, and lots of Starlings. I also got my first Northern Mockingbird of the year.

The trip to Centerport later in the day yielded better results as I picked up a few common species like Red-breasted Merganser and the Belted Kingfisher. The real jackpot was finding 130 Canvasback in the pond behind the motel off 25A. I haven't seen these in a while, probably dating back 2003 or earlier on Cayuga Lake in Ithaca. It was great to then get a diagnostic lesson across the street in the larger Mill Pond where I saw a Redhead side-by-side with their reddish-headed cousin. Nice day for birding and I would have stayed longer, but it was too cold by the dam.

Redhead Canvasback

Row # Species Count Location S/P Date
37 Northern Mockingbird 1 Town Line Motel US-NY 23-Jan-10
38 Red-breasted Merganser 3 Centerport Harbor US-NY 23-Jan-10
39 Belted Kingfisher 1 Centerport Harbor US-NY 23-Jan-10
40 Lesser Scaup 8 Centerport Mill Pond US-NY 23-Jan-10
41 Ring-necked Duck 3 Centerport Mill Pond US-NY 23-Jan-10
42 Canvasback 130 Centerport Mill Pond US-NY 23-Jan-10
43 Redhead 2 Mill Pond US-NY 23-Jan-10

No comments: