19 March, 2010

Species 68: Cooper's Hawk in Traffic

Driving from Flushing to Northport for her birthday dinner with the folks, Kim decided the scenic route of 25A would be faster. In Huntington one of her shortcuts diverted us around the traffic of Main Street, but then put us into the parking lot of the Elk's Lodge. I am told that normally there are never any cars in this parking lot. On this night, the Elks must have been meeting because the lot was packed and there was a line of cars trying to get back out onto Main St.

Whiling away the time in the passenger seat, I saw a silhouette not too high up flying toward us from the East. As it got closer, the long tail and good size told me I was seeing my first Cooper's Hawk of the year. It kept going west while we were still in the lot a while longer. We definitely didn't save time, but it sure was scenic and productive.


At twilight, this is about what I saw.

Row # Species Count Location S/P Date
68 Cooper's Hawk 1 Huntington - Elk's Lodge Inn US-NY 19-Mar-10

No comments: